Those carefree summer days are over, but who’s to say you can’t continue to look top of your game and carry that same confidence right through to winter? It’s true, it can be harder to achieve that fresh dewy summer glow when the sun disappears and the temperature drops. In fact, you might even notice that your skin looks more tired, dull and, dare I say it, older than ever.
But the good news is that establishing a simple routine can slow the skin ageing process, so you don’t have to use image filters or lots of makeup. Instead, you can be your authentic self.
Put an end to your dry spell
One of the first things you’ll probably notice when the seasons change is a lack of moisture in your skin. Dry skin can be exacerbated by temperature extremes – being exposed to the harsh weather outside then coming inside to a home with central heating, for example. If you don’t invest in a good skincare routine, it’s possible that your dry skin could escalate into sensitive, flaky, patchy and irritated skin.
It's also when your skin is dry that you can really start to notice signs of premature ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles. These generally start to make their first unwelcome appearance from around age 25 and are most common around the eyes and mouth. And it’s all because of what’s happening beneath your skin. From age 25 onwards, your levels of collagen and elastin levels start to deplete, which means your skin stops ‘pinging’ back after smiling or frowning and the grooves created by facial expressions get deeper.
The best daily skin care routine to slow premature ageing is to:
- Use an anti-wrinkle moisturiser with skincare that includes ingredients such as vitamin A, antioxidants, peptides and hyaluronic acid.
- Use a gentle cleanser in the morning. Most of us over-cleanse the delicate skin on our faces, stripping it of the natural oils needed to regulate the skin. If you wear makeup, wash it off properly in the evening, and in the morning use a gentle cleanser.
- Never skip sunscreen. 15 minutes in the sunshine is a good way to get an essential dose of vitamin D. However, any longer and you need SPF30+. Sun damage is the biggest cause of premature skin ageing and skin cancers.
- Eat a rainbow of fruit and vegetables, and try to incorporate food rich in vitamin A into your diet, such as broccoli, kale and salmon. UV exposure strips the skin of the vitamins that keep it healthy and youthful, so you need to replenish.
My favourite treatment against premature skin ageing
A sure-fire way to boost your skin health and slow premature skin ageing is to make HydraFacial® Platinum Booster treatments part of your routine. These are a firm favourite of mine because they can be customised to suit your exact skin concerns.
If you’ve never had a HydraFacial® Platinum Booster before, here’s what’s involved:
- I cleanse your skin by applying a gentle mix of salicylic and glycolic acid to break up any dirt and oil, remove dead skin cells, excess sebum and unclog pores.
- I use the advanced HydraFacial® wand to reach deeper into your pores, gently vacuuming out blackheads, dirt, oil and impurities.
- I apply specially formulated booster serums containing antioxidants, peptides and boosters to address your skin concern.
What makes HydraFacial® superior to traditional facials is the wand which extracts impurities and infuses serums deep into your skin to get impressive results with no downtime.
My favourite booster to slow premature skin ageing
As a millennial, my skin is still generally smooth and blemish free. I want to keep it that way for as long as I can, which is why I use the HydraFacial® REGEN Growth Factor Booster that contains the patented M-007 complex. Sounds hi-tech? It is! Here’s a rundown of the key ingredients and why you need them in your life:
- M-007: Acts as a transporter, depositing active ingredients deep below the skin’s surface where collagen is produced to help accelerate the process of the collagen production.
- Heptapeptide-32: Maintains the appearance of healthy, youthful skin through collagen and elastin production.
- Copper Peptide Cu-GHK: Regenerates healthy-looking skin by accelerating wound healing and skin repair.
- Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7: Treats inflammation while boosting the growth of collagen-producing tissues.
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5: Helps skin cells flush toxins while enhancing the appearance of firmness.
- Azelaoyl Bis-Dipeptide 10: A powerful antioxidant to help prevent the formation of free radicals.
I love this booster, particularly at this time of year as autumn and winter extremes stress my skin. Of course, if you have particular concerns such as redness or pigmentation, I have specific boosters to treat those conditions.
Let’s make it a regular thing
One of the main things my clients love most about getting a HydraFacial® treatment is that the results are instant. You’ll skip out of the clinic with a brighter, smoother complexion and younger looking skin, so you can head out for a night on the town immediately.
But if you’re serious about boosting collagen and elastin production, having a HydraFacial® REGN GF booster on a regular basis is the best way to prevent those premature signs of ageing. I recommend getting one every 4-6 weeks if you want to stay one step ahead of the ageing process. Here at the DRVICTORIA™ Clinic, we only use genuine HydraFacial® products and boosters so you can have confidence in getting the best results.
Book an appointment and let me show show you the difference!
Unlocking the potential of your skin and achieving a glowing, radiant complexion is something Hannah Leigh knows all about. As a qualified Level 4 Advanced Skin Therapist, she has studied, practised and perfected our treatments to get the best results for you.
- Harvard Health Publishing, Why your face ages and what you can do, July 2023
- Medical News Today, What to know about wrinkles, April 2023
- BeautyLife Magazine, Your skin will love this HydraFacial Regen GF Booster
- MDPI, Insights into Bioactive Peptides in Cosmetics, Le Thi Nhu Ngoc, Ju-Young Moon 2, and Young-Chul Lee, 2023